The Food, Agriculture and Hospitality Committee (FAHC) comprises a dynamic and diverse group of Australian, New Zealand and Japanese business people who represent the food, agriculture and hospitality industries at both private industry and government levels. The Food, Agriculture and Hospitality Committee provides a forum serving the following purposes:
- To share information on, and discuss the implications of developments in the Australian, New Zealand, and Japanese food, agriculture and hospitality industries, including market access issues and policy developments.
- To share information on food safety and food security issues that impact upon imported food and food ingredients
- To provide a ready network of contacts for new and existing exporters
- To channel complaints on access restrictions through official government channels
- Australian food and fibre exports were worth A$45 billion in 2015–16, with nine of the top 10 destination markets (around 60 per cent of exports) in Asia. According to the OECD Development Centre, the number of middle-class consumers in the Asia-Pacific region is forecast to grow to approximately 3.2 billion (66 per cent of the world’s total) by 2030.
- Australia’s proximity to Asia and reputation as a safe and reliable source of quality produce and premium products ensure the country is well placed to capitalise on this growth.
The committee meets on a regular basis and welcomes new members.
FAHC Chair: Tim Barnstable, Saputo Dairy Australia
FAHC Vice-Chair: Andrew Cox, MLA