Street Rugby at Chichibunomiya Stadium
On 8 November, Club Australia and the ANZCCJ collaborated with the
Street Rugby Alliance to host the Street Rugby at Chichibunomiya Stadium event.
The event commenced with a number of speeches by key Japanese sports and Government figures:
Also in attendance were representatives of the 12 cities that will be hosting Rugby World Cup matches in 2019.
- Mr Saburo Kawabuchi - Chairman, Cheer Nippon (major event sponsor)
- Mr Kazumi Ohigashi - President, Japan Sports Council
- Mr Akira Shimazu - CEO, RWC 2019 Organising Committee
- Mr Kimura Tetsuya - LDP
- HE Mark Sinclair - New Zealand Ambassador to Japan
- Ms Melanie Brock - ANZCCJ Chair and President of the Australian Rugby Foundation Japan Chapter
Following the ceremony, an impressive performance of the Haka was delivered by staff of the New Zealand Embassy Tokyo.
The event, which was covered by a range of Japanese media including NHK News, Fuji TV and TV Asahi, attracted participation by approximately 100 teams, including 14 foreign teams. ANZCCJ member teams in the event were New Zealand Trade & Enterprise, the New Zealand Embassy to Japan, Rio Tinto, Nippon Steel, Macquarie and Peninsula Tokyo, as well as teams consisting of Chamber members' family and friends.
The Chamber, alongside Club Australia also organised a number of food and beverage stalls:
- Lamb Chops by Club Australia
- Meat Pies by 'Pie no le'
- Wine by Jeroboam Fine Wine Club
- Craft Beer by Gotemba Kogen Beer
- Tea by Nerada (KOB)
The ANZCCJ has been involved with Street Rugby Alliance since the launch of the first event in Nihonbashi earlier this year, and we look forward to continuing to work alongside both the Alliance and Club Australia to increase awareness of Rugby in Japan and to develop a pool of bilingual and experienced volunteers in the lead up to RWC2019 and 2020.