On 15 November 2017, the Australian and New Zealand Chamber of Commerce in Japan (ANZCCJ), in collaboration with Platinum Sponsor, the Australia and New Zealand Banking Group (ANZ) co-hosted a New Zealand Economic Outlook seminar with guest speaker Sharon Zollner, ANZ New Zealand Senior Economist at The Peninsula Tokyo.
Ms Zollner discussed the future outlook and landscape in New Zealand in the wake of the recent national election outcome, and in the midst of domestic housing issues and global geopolitical turmoil.
The main topics Ms Zollner discussed during her presentation and the Q&A that followed included:
- Transition growth drivers including net migration, terms of trade and fiscal spending
- Price slowdown in the housing market
- Key sectors including tourism, construction and agriculture
- The outlook for the NZD and the NZD and USD exchange rates
- Uncertainty in the wake of the national election result
As per ANZCCJ’s strategy for 2017, we aspire to work closely with our major sponsors to bring high level information to members. We hope the session gave you deeper insight into some of the key economic themes and their impact on your business dealings with New Zealand.
ANZCCJ would like to thank Ms Zollner for talking the time to share her knowledge and insights. We also extend a special thank you to our co-hosts, ANZ and our members for joining us.
For more information about ANZ in Japan, visit their website